Background of EERC
Environmental and Economic Resource Centre (EERC) is a non-profit, scientific research organization focusing on sustainable development practices in agriculture, environment, and natural resource management in Africa. EERC is based in Nigeria with regional offices in Malawi and the organization work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, and the private sector to develop scalable agricultural and environmental management practices with real impact on poverty reduction, food security, ecosystem health, conservation, and livelihood development. EERC operates four (4) main Programs and these include:
- Agriculture and Environmental Management
- Natural Resources Management
- Livelihood and Economic Development.
- Human Resources and Capacity Building.
Agriculture and Environmental Management. Environmental conservation, and management is central to achieving agricultural productivity, food security and sustainable livelihood. Numerous environmental challenges like climate change, ecosystem degradation, and land use change are currently affecting lives and income of millions of individual, especially the rural farm households. We therefore encourage and promote farmers’ participation in Climate-smart agriculture (CSA) towards achieving adaptation, mitigation and food security, and more specifically, increase productivity, reduce greenhouse gases emissions, increase net return and improve input use efficiency in smallholder farming systems in Africa.
Natural Resource Management: Natural resource management is key to agricultural productivity and development. Africa has a record of wealth of natural resources that is mismanaged and therefore hampering sound ecosystem and productivity. EERC natural resource management program aims at supporting the host government and primary stakeholders through quality research and project implementation on protection and sustainable management of national and regional natural resources towards the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals. Some of our natural resource program covers areas like forest conservation, land use management, natural reserve assessment and development, natural resource valuation, environmental modelling and climate change issues.
Livelihood and Economic Development: In Africa livelihood opportunities are somewhat underpinned leaving over 80% of the population in the agricultural sector. Although, agriculture has been identified as the main source of livelihood for most households but with limited productive capacity. Our aim is to introduce innovative practices and technologies that will enhance smallholder farmers productivity and to increased livelihood opportunities and national economic development at large. We Support farmers and vulnerable households to gain and or re-gain and build sustainable and decent means of livelihood with emphasis on green economy.
Human Resources and Capacity Building: EERC is keen at building skills and capacity of African scientists, and young professionals through direct engagement either as intern, volunteers or visiting researchers. We equally promote and develop human capacity for sustainable development by engaging in different activities like trainings, seminars, workshop, and short courses for wide range of stakeholders like farmers, researchers, and development actors across different field of learning.
Purpose of the Call:
The call for internship is a component of the Human Resource and Capacity Building Program which centers on building capacities of young African researchers towards advancing their career objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A total of three (3) positions are open to be filled. Prospective Candidate seeking internship position with EERC will be expected to carried out the following Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with EERC technical team on proposal writing
- Assist on the implementation of the ongoing research projects and activities.
- Support on strategic designs of EERC programs and implementations
- Work closely with the Field Officer & Program Manager to achieve expected outcomes of EERC program
This is an unpaid internship for the 3 months. However, potential candidate is open to the following benefits
- A monthly stipend to cover only for your transport costs.
- An office space with 24 hours’ power supply and internet facility.
- A serene environment for research where you’ll have the opportunity to learn in a team of expert and build your research capacities.
- Opportunity to receive support in developing your research proposal or grant application that will enable you to have the opportunity of possible research grants.
- May likely enjoy funding for your research project depending on the stage and how relevant the research is to the ongoing EERC Project.
- Based on satisfactory performance, the candidate may be considered for a job placement or inclusion in a research project at EERC.