Environmental and Economic Resource Centre (EERC) is an international research-based NGO that works with a network of local and international partners to catalyse and develop inclusive agriculture, sustainable livelihoods, natural resource conservation, and environmental management in Africa. EERC undertakes research and capacity building to develop scalable technologies and innovative practices with real impact on poverty reduction, food security, ecosystem health, conservation, and livelihood development.
The purpose of the position is to ensure the financial viability and management of EERC mobilized resources. S/he will play a crucial role in providing high quality financial management and information necessary to support an effective organizational operation. Specific responsibilities include; assessment of financial needs and cash flow requirements, financial planning (inc. budget submissions), contract management, financial reporting and audit. In addition, s/he will need to identify and resolve any financial management problems which may arise, facilitate the involvement of EERC finance team in the development and funding of projects, and provide appropriate training in finance policies and procedures for all staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review, update and ensure compliance with specific project financial systems, policies, procedures and emerging best practices that are in compliance with generally accepted accounting policies for non-profit organizations and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Coordinate the preparation, consolidation, analysis and submission of strategic plan budget, annual budget and quarterly implementation budgets in accordance with budget instructions and guidelines.
- Provide financial forecasting and advise on sound expenses management for EERC operations.
- Prepare financial reports – both internal and external; including presentation of the same to the donors and or relevant recipient/stakeholders.
- Ensure finance related audit actions are implemented and alternative actions taken as required to address weaknesses in financial controls and procedures identified in finance and other forms of audit reports.
- Oversee recording of financial transactions; including income, expenditure, assets, liabilities and funds.
- Ensure physical filing of accounting documents is orderly, logical and easily referenced to accounting records.
- Oversight and development of an excellent and high performing finance and admin team.
- Train staff members in financial systems, policies, procedures, systems and emerging best practices.
- Oversee all office purchases and procurement activities.
- Work closely with Program Manager in preparation of funding requests and communicating project expense plans to the Executive Director.
B. Compliance and Management of Risks
- Policies and procedures: ensure that systems and processes are in place to comply with EERC policies, standards and procedures and legal requirements in the areas of finance, administration, logistics & ICT.
- Facilitate internal audit missions and ensure audit follow up and action lists are addressed in a timely manner, ensure that the organization learns from audits and reviews to continuously improve its operations.
- Ensure systems and processes are in place to identify and manage risks including developing, updating the financial risk register to the Executive Director in line with the Global Risk Management policy, and ensuring that risks are adequately identified, assessed, mitigated and reported on through risk registers in the finance and administration section.
- Report timely and consistently all transaction including updates, to the Executive Director
- Oversees the review of agreements and contracts and ensure compliance with the Nigerian laws and regulations.
- Manage financial administration of all grants
- Ensure full project costings, and maximizing cost recovery from donors to ensure fully funded interventions;
- Review donor contracts and ensure that all staff and external partners are aware of grant conditions
- Ensure expenditure is in line with approved donor budgets
- Review of all financial reports prepared for submission to donors to ensure they are accurate and on time
D. Information Technology
- Oversight on development/review and open rationalization of the ICT policy.
- Set up and oversee office supplies control system
- Set up and oversee office inventory control system
- Set up and oversee non-current assets control system
- Ensure EERC travel policy is strictly adhered to by all staffs and consultants.
- Set up and oversee usage of EERC vehicle(s) and the use of taxis or other hired vehicles
- Oversee security, cleanliness and beautification of EERC environment.
- Oversee all human resources activities; including supervision of the HR officer/ assistant
- Review and make recommendations on the human resource needs of the finance and administration department
F. To undertake any other tasks assigned by the Executive Director which might be reasonably deemed within the status of the job and appropriate to the post.