About Environmental and Economic Resource Centre (EERC)
Environmental and Economic Resource Centre (EERC) is an international research-based NGO that works with a network of local and international partners to catalyse and develop inclusive agriculture, sustainable livelihoods, natural resource conservation, and environmental management in Africa. EERC undertakes research and capacity building to develop scalable technologies and innovative practices with real impact on poverty reduction, food security, ecosystem health, conservation, and livelihood development.
About the Project
EERC is partnering with Mercy Corp to Build Resilience to Climate Change and Carbon Market Opportunities in Smallholder Farming Systems in Northeast Nigeria under the “Feed the Future Rural Resilience Activity (RRA), a 5-year project funded by the United State Agency for International Development (USAID).
Northeast Nigeria (NEN) is characterized by harsh weather conditions, with the majority of the population being smallholder farmers, pastoralists, fishermen/women, and forest-dependent households who derive their livelihoods from natural resources and thus, are most vulnerable to climate shocks and natural hazards and consequently loss of investments leading to low productivity and income. EERC aims at building resilience to climate change by promoting climate change mitigation and adaptation practices that have the potential to not only increase productivity and conserve the environment but also increase productivity as well as create opportunities for carbon credits among the beneficiaries. The project has three main objectives and these include:
- Enhance the capacity of the state government to establish a suitable platform for carbon market mechanisms as well as ensure mitigating the impact of climate change across the state.
- Promote Agro-forestry among 3000 farmers to create multiple benefits such as improved food security, livelihoods, ecosystem functions, regeneration of degraded farmland, and lasting income generation from carbon markets.
- Promote the effective utilization of agri-waste and carbon farming practices among 7000 farmers to reduce the incidence of soil erosion, improve the productivity and income of smallholder farmers as well as enhance the sustainable utilization of resources, thereby reducing the impact of climate change.
The project will adopt a market-led approach to improve livelihood, build the resilience of farm households to climate change, and increase income through participation in agroforestry and carbon farming opportunities and thereby reducing the incidence of soil erosion, improving the productivity and income of smallholder farmers as well as enhance the sustainable utilization of resources, thereby reducing the impact of climate change in Adamawa and Gombe State.
The purpose of the position is to ensure the financial viability and management of EERC-mobilized resources. S/he will play a crucial role in providing high-quality financial management information necessary to support EERC operations in the Northeast. The Finance and Administrative Officer will be based in Yola and reports directly to Finance and Administrative Manager, based in EERC Head Office in Aboekuta. S/he will however work under the administrative supervision of the Head of Field Office. The Finance and Administrative Officer will ensure assessment of financial needs and cash flow requirements, financial planning (including budget submissions), financial reporting, and audit. In addition, s/he will need to identify and resolve any financial management problems which may arise, facilitate the involvement of the EERC finance team in the development and funding of projects, and provide appropriate training in finance policies and procedures for all staff.
- General Administrative Support: Provide administrative support to the management team and staff, including, scheduling meetings, facilitating travel logistics, preparing reports, and maintaining accurate financial records.
- Office Management: Oversee day-to-day office operations, including maintaining office supplies, managing office equipment, and coordinating maintenance and repairs when necessary.
- Financial Support: Assist in financial management tasks, such as processing invoices, monitoring expenses, and reconciling accounts. Collaborate with the finance team to ensure accurate and timely financial transactions.
- Travel and Logistics: Arrange travel itineraries, including booking flights, accommodations, and transportation.
- Coordinating both human and material logistics for meetings, conferences, and events.
- Data Management: Collect, organize, and maintain accurate data and records, ensuring confidentiality and data protection. Prepare and update various reports, spreadsheets, and databases as required.
- Documentation and Filing: Create and maintain a filing system for both electronic and physical documents. Ensure proper documentation and filing of contracts, invoices, purchase orders, and other relevant records.
- Communication and Correspondences: Draft, proofread, and edit various business communications, including emails, memos, and reports. Handle incoming and outgoing correspondence and maintain professional communication channels.
- Relationship Management: Establish and maintain positive relationships with clients, suppliers/vendors, and other external stakeholders. Provide excellent customer service and address inquiries and requests promptly.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates with the required experience are invited to submit their applications by email to email@example.com. Candidate should be ready to submit Cover Letter, CV, and 3 references while submitting the application. The application should be submitted on or before 11 August 2023. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.