About the Environmental and Economic Resource Centre (EERC)
Environmental and Economic Resource Centre is an international research-based NGO that works with a network of local and international partners to catalyze and develop inclusive agriculture, sustainable livelihoods, natural resource conservation, and environmental management in Africa. EERC undertakes research and capacity building to develop scalable technologies and innovative practices with real impact on poverty reduction, food security, ecosystem health, conservation, and livelihood development.
About the Position
The Training Program Officer – Human Resource and Capacity Building is primarily responsible for the coordination of training and capacity building programs, developing learning and development strategies for the organization, assessing necessary skills, vet trainers, and implementing training strategies in relation but not limited to agricultural and environmental related research, training, projects, and programs of EERC in Nigeria. S/he is expected to work under the direct supervision of the Program Manager to lead program design; develop training and empowerment programs, and proposals; assist in facilitating research implementation; develop program budget; and negotiate partnership opportunities with donor agencies, government agencies, research institutions, private sectors, and other relevant stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Training Program Officer will lead and coordinate the Human Resources and Capacity Building program, training, and projects of the EERC office in Nigeria.
- Lead the design and implementation of the Human Resources and Capacity Building program and activities in close coordination with the Malawi Office.
- Identify training needs according to needs in line with the programs of the EERC Office.
- Based on research, plan and implement training programs that will prepare employees, host communities, stakeholders, and the general public for the next step of development of the EERC office in Nigeria
- Recruit trainers, lead, teach, onboard and evaluate existing and new trainers of the EERC office in Nigeria.
- Build quarterly and annual training programs for the EERC office in Nigeria
- Prepare the budget for training programs and workshops and present all the technical and supply training requirements to be used to the Program Manager.
- Oversee employee and trainee attendance and performance as well as track training success and progress.
- Manage the production of training materials and communicate all the training programs on a timely basis.
- Have a proper training program announcement marketing strategy, prepare and deliver training courses as well as prepare and present reports on training programs held.
- Develop strong and active relationship with stakeholders in the agricultural sector including the donor agencies, governments, research institutions, private sector, community based organizations (CBOs), non-governmental organization (NGOs), farmers group, etc.
- Engage the external community as to build and maintain essential relationship.
- Identify and leverage fund opportunities that may benefit and complement the mission and vision of EERC.
- Coordinate with the Field Officer to ensure smooth implementation of ongoing research, and projects related to agriculture and environmental programs.
- Providing general oversight and making guiding decisions for successful implementation of EERC activities.
- Create a vision that is singular and that provides unity and inspiration within an organization.
- Provide detailed report of the implemented activities to the Program Manager and the Executive Director.
- Ensure that all implemented activities are relevant to the mission and vision of EERC.
FACTOR 1: Knowledge and Competencies
State-of-the-art specialized knowledge of technical, research, and program design approaches in agriculture, environment, and climate change issues are required. A thorough knowledge and understanding of the agricultural land use, livelihoods, climate change, and environmental conservation with ability to contextualize the nexuses, in particular as it relates to smallholder farming systems within the context of developing economy is required.
FACTOR 2: Skills and Abilities:
Sound ability in training management and capacity building. Must be able to work effectively with mid-and senior level public and private sector officials from the Government of Nigeria (GoN), Research Institutions, Private Sector, etc. Must be able to work effectively in a team environment and coordinate well with others. Must be able to develop effective and collaborative manager-to-manager relationships with IPs. The work requires excellent writing and computer skills, in order to develop proposals, presentations, reports, etc. Diplomacy, tact, cultural sensitivity, and team participation are required, in order to establish and maintain effective working relationships within EERC, and with the Nigerian public and private sectors. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multitask and stay organized in a complex, frequently changing environment is a requirement. Demonstrated advanced analytical skills and problem solving, as well as the ability to effectively manage stress is required.
FACTOR 3: Communication and Language Skills: Fluent English in oral and writing ability, interpersonal skills that enable you to work with people at all levels of an organization, motivate others, initiative and the ability to offer new ideas, organizational and planning skills to manage your time and to meet deadlines and objectives is required.
Job Location: Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates with the required experience are invited to submit their applications online at https://www.eerce.org/join-us/ or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidate should be ready to submit Cover Letter, CV and 3 references while filling the application. Application should be submitted on or before 12 December 2022. When submitting online, you will be required to create an account before you will be able to submit your application. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.