The Training Brief
Discover the diverse uses of mapping, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and spatial data, and how they underpin decision-making in every aspect of our lives. Explore and critically appraise maps to gain a better appreciation of the world around you. Learn how to use free open-source software (Quantum GIS) to import, display and analyse spatial data. Collect and integrate spatial data from a variety of sources. Experience realistic tasks in the context of international case studies, which range from resource management, wildlife conservation and leisure hiking to archaeology and disaster relief. Apply your learning to create maps which illustrate your own interests or hobbies, based on sound cartographic principles.
This course aims to:
- Introduce students to the basic concepts and diverse uses of mapping, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and spatial data, and equip them with the knowledge to create robust, well-documented spatial data and maps for their own purposes.
By the end of this course, participants will be expected to understand:
- The diverse ways in which spatial data and GIS analyses are applied to help people better understand the world around them.
- How they might source, edit and use spatial data in their own context.
- Good practice for managing spatial data.
- The definition of projections, datums and coordinate systems, and how knowledge of these allows different data sources to be mapped together.
- The importance of metadata to record the source of data, and the degree of precision and uncertainty of spatial or attribute data.
- The difference between raster and vector data formats, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- The difference between a GIS layer and the data it represents.
Training Fee and Registration Details:
The training is schedule to hold between 5th and 10th August, 2019. To be considered for this training, kindly send your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org on before 15th July 2019. You can as well send an email to the program manager Dr Ayoade Adetoye detailing your interest and preferences on the training on email@example.com. The training is fee is $150 per participant. Payment should be made on arrival at the training venue: EERC Building, Alagbede, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.
For further inquiries, call Dr Ayoade Adetoye on +2347031557937 or send an email: firstname.lastname@example.org